August 18, 2010

Gone Fishin'

Farm to table may be all the rage, but I'm pretty into lake to table. Out on Clear Lake, as my family struggled through the emotional turmoil of being confined to a row boat, we were rewarded with catching our limits of jumping trout. We had enough of the fresh, flaky little guys to feed a house full of guests and the trout that my Aunt Di smoked were my favorite. I put the smoked trout on swiss chard cakes--a method my friend Erin taught me--and these cakes, which can be made with whatever vegetables are around, are the best go-to dinner. Topped with poached eggs, or simply served along mixed greens, they are my solution to 'I have nothing to eat'. See the method below because they really are amazing...thanks Erin!
Swiss Chard (or any vegetable you want) Cake
As taught to me by Erin

Chop and clean 3 leeks. Soften over medium heat in 2 T. butter or olive oil. In the meantime, clean 2-3 cups of swiss chard and cut into 1/2'' strips. Once the leeks are soft, add the chard and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Let cool a bit. In another bowl mix 2 eggs, 1/4 C. whole wheat flour, salt and pepper. Once chard mixture has cooled, add to eggs and flour. Drop into cast-iron pan and spread 2'' wide, 1/2'' thick. Cook like pancakes and serve with a dollop of creme fraiche.

Notes: Feel free to substitute onion and garlic for leeks and any leafy green or chopped vegetable for the chard. The vegetable mixture could be made and cooled in advance and then added to flour and eggs when ready to eat.

The Menu

swiss chard cakes with smoked trout, sour cream and dill

smoked duck breast with a reduced cabernet, cherry and black pepper sauce

tillamook huckleberry ice cream

5 comments:

Erin said...

What a perfect Oregon meal! Glad you are enjoying the pancakes.

AMELIA ALVAREZ said...

Where you been all my life??
YUM-MERS!

Suzanne B. Webb said...

Looks yummy Annie! It's a pretty lake, isn't it?
Love YOu!
Aunt Suzie

Deirdre Zahl said...

What is swiss chard? Serious question. : )

Annie Campbell said...

Swiss chard is a dark leafy green. Down south you might be more familiar with collard greens or mustard greens. Also in the same family as kale, swiss chard is my favorite color and texture of the greens and come with ribs (stems) of red or yellow or rainbow. A must try!

Post a Comment