January 9, 2012

Downton Abbey Viewing Party: A High Tea

Not since Sex and the City, have I been as taken with a show as I am with Downton Abbey. I love the interweavings of the 'upstairs' and 'downstairs', the greatly nuanced characters, and, of course, am obsessed with the elaborateness and care that goes into each of their fancy dinner parties. To celebrate the start of the second season, I hosted a high tea to view last season's finale, so that we were all up to speed (I die for that garden party!). I made a tea sandwich and a dessert to fit the personalities of each Crawley sister. Lady Sybil, the highly spirited, youngest, is the family's forward thinking feminist. For her, I made curried egg salad on wheat--really in homage to her fabulous harem pants from Season 1. Spiced carrot cake followed suit for her spicier ways. Salmon gravlax sandwiches embodied the unlikeable Lady Edith's fishy ways. Similarly, a lemon-almond tea cake is a perfect match for her sour puss attitude. My favorite, Lady Mary, with her gorgeous beaded gowns, got my favorite tea sandwich: the classic watercress & cucumber (she happens to be as cool as one). And since she is the fanciest, imported chocolate--something special cooks of the day would order--fit the bill. Their American mother received a nod with a turkey and cranberry sandwich on mini orange muffins. If you're not on the Downton Abbey train, hop on; it's delicious television. Next time: a downstairs affair.
The Menu

assorted tea & champagne

tea sandwiches

cucumber & watercress on white bread
curried on salad on wheat
gravlax, cream cheese, dill & capers on pumpernickel
turkey, cranberry & arugula on orange muffins

sweets

lemon almond tea cake
spiced carrot cake
dark chocolate

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
Just wanted to say that I'm SO glad to have found your lovely blog, I've devoured it with relish. What charming parties you create, so elegant and fun.
I'd love it if you'd consider sharing your sugar cookie recipe, I'm looking for a new one.
Sarah x

Anonymous said...

The term "HighTea" is a working class tea. I am a transplanted Englishwoman (Norfolk)...that is NOT the term for the type of tea that you are presenting.

Eleanor Atherton

Post a Comment